Zentangle Weekly Challenge #3

Hello and welcome to the Zentangle weekly challenge!  
Here's how it works:
Every Monday I: 
- choose a technique or style of drawing
- include some examples and guidelines for the challenge. 
Throughout the week: 
- when you have completed your artwork, return to this post to Link Up a photo of your artwork.
Note:  if you don't feel comfortable sharing your drawings then please let us know you are participating by leaving a comment. 
Please only share photos, posts or Pins that you have done yourself AND match the week's challenge.  Every week I will have a new challenge so you will have plenty of opportunities to share your art!  Please remember this is a child friendly site.  Use the comment section to tell us about your drawing or to ask questions.  Offering support to your fellow artists is cool too!
Note:  I am not a 'strictly by the book Tangler', I find that drawing Zentangles awakens my creativity which often leads to other drawing techniques and styles.  I will be combining several drawing techniques in these challenges so that each challenge will be fresh, stimulating and rewarding. 
* * *
Are you up for a bit tougher challenge this week?
I'm looking to venture outside of my comfort zone and challenge both sides of my brain!
(the "pro's" may not find it any more challenging but I hope they will enjoy it just the same!)

I love the negative space letter zentangles (meaning that the pattern is outside of the letter) that are popping up all over Pinterest.  I have drawn one before but today I want to make this challenge a learning experience as well.

So this week's guidelines are:
A 'negative letter' zentangle of the first letter of your name that includes only zentangle patterns that start with the same letter.
You must also list the patterns that you used in the comment section.

For a list of zentangles that start with the first letter of your name go to Tanglepatterns.com and click on your letter in the alphabet row to find the designs you can use in this challenge.

Here are some examples of negative letter zentangles to give you some inspiration.
photo source                 photo source

photo source                     photo source
 When you are done, photograph your work and come back to Link Up your negative letter zentangle to the Gallery below. (instructions at the bottom of this post if you need them or email me with any questions.)

I admit that I am not fluent in the names of zentangle patterns, but with a little luck I hope to be a pro at the "J" patterns by the end of the week!
Let's get tangling!
~ joey ~
Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Thumb-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
If this widget does not appear, click here to display it.

8 comments:

  1. Great challenge Joey, this one will pull me out of my box too. Look forward to giving this a go.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of the fun patterns that you used Kylie! And I also like that you didn't fill the entire space with pattern, it gives it a clean look so that each pattern pops.
      Thanks for linking up this week!
      ~ joey ~

      Delete
  2. Great idea for a challenge Joey. I've used the "crescent moon", "chard", "coral seeds", "chemystery" and "croon" tangle patterns. I might just laminate this one and turn it into a coaster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Chrissie, you were quick with this one, it's fantastic!
      I love the Chemystery pattern that you used, that is one of the few patterns that I have memorized! I noticed that the Croon pattern is similar to the Jetties pattern that I used. I love how a few different strokes can give a different look. I couldn't find Coral Seeds, which pattern is that?
      Thanks so much for participating!

      Delete
  3. Well I finished this one sooner than I thought I would! I have used the following patterns: japonica, jetties, jonqual, jalousie, jawz and jeewels. The J is also a font called Junebug. I wanted to try something with my brown Micron pens and then shaded with a coloured pencil called Mahogany. I don't feel this piece really flows that well, I'm still trying to figure out how to have the patterns blend together better, but I learn something every time I draw! One thing I did learn is that I love the japonica pattern around the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your artwork is beautiful! You do indeed have many fun A patterns to work with! I'm curious to know what pencil/pen do you use to shade with? I love the colour and how even it's applied.
    Look forward to seeing you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips! I'm going to look into one of the "smudgers" and a 3B pencil, lately I've been finding my shading is smudging on the back of my hand as I work. Do you have different sized tips for your refillable pen and is the ink waterproof? Is it ok to use with watercolour pencils?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, thank so much for sharing your artwork!
    I really like the font that you chose for your letter R and the patterns you used blend together nicely.
    I see that you are new to participating in challenges as well, I look forward to seeing more of your artwork in the future!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading your thoughts and ideas about the posts that I write here. It's nice to just say hi too!
~ joey ~